New Norfolk Street Names

This list was originally published by the Derwent Valley Historical Information Centre in their book "The Derwent Valley From Federation to Millenium Volume II" ISBN 978-1-876391-03-4 available to purchase at the New Norfolk Newsagency, 50 High Street, New Norfolk and is reproduced here with thanks.

TOWN SIDE

HIGH STREET
Shown as Sorell Street on early maps but eventually adopted the common British name for a town's main street or retail centre.

BURNETT STREET
Shown as Lachlan Street on early maps but later named after John Burnett who was appointed to the newly created office of Colonial Secretary to Van Diemen's Land in April 1826. Burnett Street once continued down to connect with the Esplanade. It also continued in the opposite direction towards Willow Court, but this section was later incorporated into the hospital and renamed The Avenue. (more to add)

BATHURST STREET
Named after Lord Bathurst, Secretary of State for the Colonies. Henry, 3rd Earl of Bathurst (1762 - 1834), Secretary for War and the Colonies 1812-27.

CAMPBELL STREET
Shown on early maps running parallel to Bathurst Street on the Hobart side, this street does not appear to have been built.