19 High Street

17 High Street - ◦ - 25 High Street

  • Ikey Solomon is reputed to have run a tobacconist on this site between 1835 and 1838
  • JJ Wilshire’s Derwent Stores (1856 to 1872)
  • Walter Bock (1872 to 1875)
  • Perkins & Nephew Emporium (1875 to 1887 +)
  • James P McGough Emporium 1892
  • McGough & Andrewartha Emporium (- 1895 to 1909)
  • Scarr's Happy Home Stores (manager Frank Browne) (- 1913 to 1919 +)
  • Frank Browne Furniture Store (???? - 1923)
  • JF Lee & Sons (- 1932 +)
  • VD Lee's Ironmongery
  • Tipper Lee Hardware
  • Demolished (1967)
  • Kenny Chan (1976? to ????)
  • Lucki's Takeaway (1993)
  • Corner Capers
  • Subway

Although the street address for this site is now 19 High Street, the land title description is 34 & 34a Burnett Street and shows as such on List Maps and title search.

Perkins & Nephew Emporium in approximately 1880. (Photo courtesy of the late Grace Curtin)
Streetscape showing McGough & Andrewartha Emporium on the right in 1906. (Tasmanian Illustrated Mail 22 Sep 1910)
Scarr's Happy Home Stores around 1918. The shop to the left behind the cart could be Thomas Crump's Blacksmith.
Browne's Furniture Store showing part of Burnett Street. 29 High Street, seen to the left, was built in 1921, which dates this photo to between 1921-23.
Streetscape showing JF Lee & Sons Furniture at number 19 on the immediate right.
View of 19 High Street and surrounding shops in the late 1950s from an Ash Bester postcard.
Demolition of the century old building in 1967 - the site was used as a car park for a couple of years until a new building was erected. (Photo courtesy of Damian Bester)
Corner Capers Internet Cafe in 2006 (Photo courtesy of New Norfolk Historical Information Centre)
Subway in 2009 (Photo courtesy of Google Maps)