17 Stephen Street

15 Stephen Street - - - 60-62 High Street

  • Built in 1915
  • Army training hall (1915 - 1940s)
  • Used as a primary school (1940s to 1950s)
  • Army training hall 1960s - early 1970s)
  • Electric Youth Club (1980s?)
  • The Market Place (1994)
  • The Drill Hall (1994 - 2006)
  • Drill Hall Emporium (2006 - present)
The Drill Hall in the 1940s - the rear of the old post office can be seen to the left
The Hall was purchased in 1993 by Tom & Sue James. This photo was taken before the renovations (Photo courtesy Derwent Valley Gazette)
The Hall in 1994 after the renovations (Photo courtesy Derwent Valley Gazette)
The Drill Hall antique shop and market in 2004
The Drill Hall Emporium in 2023